If the massive popularity of Alessandro Michele’s Gucci has taught us anything about fashion, it’s that Iris Apfel’s key principle “more is more and less is a bore”, reigns supreme these days. Between playful patterns and big flounces, fashion today is all about maximalism.
And yet, despite the ever-changing nature of the fashion industry, some patterns just seem to catch on — and they stay caught on. Here’s a guide to the timeless patterns that belong in every modern wardrobe, which we can’t help but repeat.
1. To stripe or not to stripe?
One thing is for sure: Stripes will never lose their cool factor. They have migrated from being an occasional flourish to being a mainstay in the fashion conversation. You can never go wrong with the pattern as long as you wear them strategically: Want to add length to your silhouette? Wear vertical stripes. Want a slimming effect? Wear narrow stripes where it matters. We love ourselves a classic black and white stripe, but we also like the colour updates that every season brings.
2. Are florals still groundbreaking?
The predictability of florals for spring proves just how classic flower patterns are. The print’s staying power comes from its (literal) roots in the natural landscape, making florals an organic choice. Overwhelmed by all sorts of colours and variations? Choose the floral pattern that fits your style personality better: Take the quiz.
3. Have we crossed off the Check List?
For the most part, checks are never crossed off the fashion trend list. Given its iconic patterning and numerous style iterations over the years, checks return every season as a versatile fashion choice that can be worn in any which way imaginable. Its simple fabric composition means that variations to the pattern are simple and rarely ostentatious, maintaining the print’s comforting yet distinctive quality. Learn more about Checks here: Read more.
4. Is it hip to be square?
Taking cues from architecture and interior designs, the fascination with geometric motifs has evolved into a love affair among fashion designers. It has been described as an enduring design, and has remained among the top fashion trends with each passing day since the hype in the 1960s. The versatility and freedom to play with geometric pattern is a sure way to get your wardrobe into shape.
Here are 5 benefits you get immediately once you download our app:
- Gain access to browse 40,000+ designer styles for every occasion.
- Not sure if we have clothes in your size? Read fit reviews from our community to find your best fit.
- Download the app to unlock app-exclusive offers.
- Browse first, decide later. Get access to browse our full collection and wish-list your favourites before you choose to rent!
- Upcoming event, nothing to wear? We know the struggle. Chat with our in-app Personal Stylists and get style tips and recommendations.