Figuring out your body shape is as simple as taking a few simple measurements. What many struggle with about determining their body shape and trying to dress for it is understanding what details to go for to fit and flatter, and which styles to avoid. The fear of making mistakes often deter us from trying out new styles. If you often find yourself limited to minimal styles because you’re afraid to put on something that doesn’t flatter and you want to stay in the “safe zone”, you’re in the right place to solve dressing-for-your-body-shape woes.
Knowing your body shape can help you select the perfect clothing type for you. So learning how to dress your shape will help make your shopping experience a whole lot easier.
Next up on our guide is the Strawberry, also known as Inverted Triangle.
How do you know if you have a strawberry body shape? You tend to have broader shoulders, a fuller bust and narrow hips. As a rule of thumb, your shoulder or bust measurement should be 5% bigger than your hip measurement, or more. For example, if your shoulders measure 91cm, your hip measurement should be 87cm or smaller.
Knowing whether you are a tall or petite strawberry is equally important. Besides dressing for your body type, dressing for your height will help to flatter your body shape. So while measuring, take a minute to check for your height as well!
If you are…
- 165cm and above, you are considered a tall strawberry.
- 155cm and below, you are considered a petite strawberry.
If you fall anywhere in between, you are considered to have a regular strawberry-shaped body.
Regardless of your height, the main thing you should look out for are pieces that flare at the bottom, as they help to balance out your shoulders and bust.
- V-Neck Tops: This classic neckline can help to elongate your neck and lengthen your appearance to balance out your shoulders. Of course, if your shoulders are your favourite feature, feel free to go for sleeveless styles! You can go for tops that are cinched at the waist, creating curves for your bottom. Great for: petite strawberries
- Square/Sweetheart Neckline: If a low V neckline isn’t your style, opt for square or sweetheart necklines, which aren’t as dramatic, but still very much in trend. It also helps to go for darker coloured tops! If you’re tall, hemlines can end below your waist, while petite ladies can wear tops cropped at a higher waistline.
Great for: all strawberries
- Relaxed Button-ups: Perfect for casual days – these are loose, comfortable, and won’t draw too much attention to your upper body.Great for: all strawberries
- Wide-leg Pants: When it comes to the Strawberry shape, wide flared bottoms are always a safe bet. They add volume to the bottom half of your body, balancing out your proportions. We recommend going for styles that sit on your natural waist, instead of high-waisted ones.Great for: all strawberries
- Patterned Pants: They’re an easy way to add some spunk to your outfit, and they draw attention to your bottom half instead of your shoulders and bust! Just avoid vertical stripes as they tend to make legs look slimmer, which makes your shoulders look broader. If you’re petite, ensure that the end of your pants stop at your ankles and nothing higher!Great for: all strawberries
- Full Skirts: If you’re looking for something dressier, look for full midi skirts, or A-line skirts.Great for: tall and regular strawberries
Must-Try One Pieces
- Wrap Dresses: One of our favourite silhouettes–the wrap dress elegantly elongates your neckline, and is great for both formal and casual occasions. Styles with loose, feminine sleeves also help to conceal your arms, if that’s what you prefer. If you’re petite and want to elongate your look, go for maxi wrap dresses. Otherwise, show off your legs with shorter hemlines!Great for: all strawberries
- Skater Dresses: They add volume to your lower half, while giving you a youthful look. Choose light-weight materials like jersey for a look that won’t weigh you down.Great for: all strawberries
- Wide Leg Jumpsuits: Balance out your proportions while looking chic! Pair these with platform heels if you need the added height.
Great for: tall strawberries
- Fitted Jackets with a Flared Bottom: Blazers with a defined waist that flare over the hips, such as the peplum styles, create the illusion of lower body curves and help to balance out broad shoulders. A tip is to choose those blazers with smaller lapels.Great for: all strawberries
- Waterfall Styles: Alternatively, you can try less structured pieces that drape nicely down your body and soften your overall look. Look for a waisted belt to cinch at the waist and create curves.Great for: all strawberries
Carry bags with a long shoulder strap, and avoid small clutches. The longer length elongates your overall silhouette and balances out your proportions.
Rent from the Infinite Bag Wardrobe: Saint Laurent Toy Cabas, Celine Nano Luggage Red, Chanel Quilted Medium Bi-Colour Lambskin Flap Bag or Chloe Large Emma Drawstring Bag.
Go for embellished, eye-catching shoes. You’ll be too busy getting compliments to worry about whether your shoulders look too broad.
Great for: all strawberries
When it comes to deciding your outfit, you should always play to your strengths and pick out the perfect one for you. Don’t limit yourself just because you’re afraid the clothes don’t fit.
Rent fuss-free with Style Theory and our new fit algorithm, ensuring your infinite wardrobe always fits!
Use the fit algorithm within the app to achieve the best fit for your outfit choice. Here’s how it works:
- Measure yourself
- In the app: go to Profile > Style Profile and input your measurements
- Go to Profile > Settings to toggle on “Size Recommendations”
Not a strawberry body shape? Check out our guide to:
If you don’t happen to fall within the strawberry shape category, take our body shape quiz to find out. It is important to note that you may fall between two body shapes and there is no rule that states you belong in only one category of body shape.