Figuring out your body shape is as simple as taking a few simple measurements. What many struggle with when determining their body shape and trying to dress for it, is understanding what details to go for to fit and flatter, and which styles to avoid. The fear of making mistakes often deter us from trying out new styles. If you often find yourself limited to minimal styles because you’re afraid to put on something that doesn’t flatter and you want to stay in the “safe zone”, you’re in the right place to solve dressing-for-your-body-shape woes.
Said to be the most flattering body shape of all, the hourglass figure, also known as double cherry is perfect for structured and tailored silhouettes. It is important to understand that the double cherry is just like any other body shape, it’s not better than others, neither is it less. Generally for a double cherry, you define your body as curvy with a defined waist, while your bust and hip measurements are roughly even.
To be sure, measure yourself at your shoulders, bust, waist and hips using our guide.
Your shoulder and hip measurements are within 5% of each other. Your waist is at least 25% smaller than your shoulder, hip, and bust measurements. For example, if your shoulders and hips measure 91cm/36 inches, your waist should measure 68.58cm/27 inches or smaller.
When it comes to dressing up, you’ll usually have little to no qualms. However, if you find struggles in finding the perfect outfit, take a read and try the styles!
One tip when finding the ideal outfit is to know your height. Dressing to flatter both your body type and height can help minimise picking the wrong outfits!
If you are…
- 165cm and above, you are considered a tall double cherry.
- 155cm and below, you are considered a petite double cherry.
If you fall anywhere in between, you are considered to have a regular double cherry-body.
With a curvy bust and a defined waist, wearing almost any kind of top will flatter your upper body. Most necklines will fit you because most of the fashion industry creates clothes originally fitted for a double cherry or hourglass shape! Try these:
- Peplum: A perfect way to show off that waistline and highlight the hourglass figure you have. These are great for ladies with petite to regular hourglass figures.
Great for: petite and regular double cherries
- Wrap: Though they usually cover your arms, these tops are still great for an hourglass upper body as they’re tight around where they need to be – your waist and bust! If you’re petite, opt for cropped wrap tops and longer ones might give the illusion of a shorter bottom half.Great for: tall and petite double cherries
- V-neck: This classic neckline brings attention to your defined shoulders and bust. They’re especially good for ladies with heavier hourglass figures.Great for: regular double cherry
When it comes to pants, jeans or skirts, you’re spoilt for choice too! Most styles will be fitting and flattering, so you can choose to narrow down to those that show off your curves.
- Skinny Jeans and Tapered Pants: Both are catered to be fitting and hug your hips. They’re perfect for a casual day or office wear respectively. If you’re a heavier double cherry, you can avoid wild prints. Petite double cherry would look taller in a high-waisted pair as well.Great for: all double cherries
- Low-rise Hip-hugging Bottoms: If you’re confident of your flat tummy, low-rise pants or jeans are pretty flattering in showing off your curves as well. Petite ladies should avoid this as it doesn’t flatter your legs.Great for: tall double cherry
- Pencil Skirts: These hip-huggers will show off your curves and thin waist. If you’re on the petite side, go for skirts that are above or below knee length to elongate your look.Great for: all double cherries
Must-Try One Pieces
Whether its a dress, a jumpsuit or playsuit, the best style that would flatter is:
- Fitted One Pieces: A double cherry body shape should appreciate fitting dresses and overalls. You can simply focus on waist-flattering outfits, as your curves will naturally show under the fitted one-pieces.As for jumpsuits and playsuits, the fit should hug nicely around your bust, waist, and hip area. It’s okay if the suits end up being slightly flared at the bottom.
Great for: all double cherries
The best outerwear for a double cherry figure would be any that flatters the waist!
- Fitted Blazers: They rest nicely on your shoulders and flatter your small waist. Those that have hemlines ending around your thighs will hug your hips well.
Great for: all double cherries
- Cropped: Bombers and denims with cropped silhouettes will do justice to your tiny waist and curvy shape.Great for: petite and tall double cherries
Double cherry body shapes are blessed to work with bags in all shapes and sizes. Go for classy and chic bags on working days and explore fun sizes or bolder looks during your weekend adventures.
Rent from the Infinite Bag Wardrobe: Celine Mini Luggage Souris, Saint Laurent Classic Small Sac De Jour, Chloe Nile Bracelet Bag or Loewe Elephant Bag
Want a shoe that compliments the curves on your body? Go for rounded shoes, those that are sturdy will be a great option to contrast your curviness. Thin heels would bring out the feminine side for you. So it really depends on what the occasion is as almost all types of shoes will work well for you.
Great for: all double cherries
When it comes to deciding your outfit, you should always play to your strengths and pick out the perfect one for you. Don’t limit yourself just because you’re afraid the clothes don’t fit.
Rent fuss-free with Style Theory and our new fit algorithm, ensuring your infinite wardrobe always fits!
Use the fit algorithm within the app to achieve the best fit for your outfit choice. Here’s how it works:
- Measure yourself
- In the app: go to Profile > Style Profile and input your measurements
- Go to Profile > Settings to toggle on “Size Recommendations”
Not a double cherry body shape? Check out our guide to:
If you don’t happen to fall within the double cherry shape category, take our body shape quiz to find out. It is important to note that you may fall between two body shapes and there is no rule that states you belong in only one category of body shape.
With the Style Theory Apparel Rental Membership, you get to rent from a collection of 40,000+ apparel pieces, with plans starting from S$79/mth. Download the app and create a free account to explore the Infinite Wardrobe here.