Figuring out your body shape is as simple as taking a few simple measurements. What many struggle with when determining their body shape and trying to dress for it, is understanding what details to go for to fit and flatter, and which styles to avoid. The fear of making mistakes often deter us from trying out new styles. If you often find yourself limited to minimal styles because you’re afraid to put on something that doesn’t flatter and you want to stay in the “safe zone”, you’re in the right place to solve dressing-for-your-body-shape woes.
Approximately one-third of women fall into the banana body shape category. You may also know it as the rectangle body shape. How do you know if you have a banana body shape? Generally, your curves are evenly proportioned and you don’t have a very defined waist.
If you’re still unsure, go ahead and measure yourself using our guide below.
If your waist is less than 25% smaller than your shoulders or bust measurement, you’re in the banana shape club! For example, if your shoulders measure 91cm, your waist measurement should be 68cm or more. Another criteria is that your shoulder, bust and hip measurements must fall within 5% of each other.
In addition to that, make sure you factor in your height to ensure you pick the right styles that flatter your height most!
If you are…
- 165cm and above, you are considered a tall banana.
- 155cm and below, you are considered a petite banana.
If you fall anywhere in between, you are considered to have a regular banana-body shape.
It’s one of the easiest body types to dress, so don’t worry! Look out for pieces that can give you shape and more prominent curves.
- Wrap Tops: Wrap tops are a great staple to have in your wardrobe as they give an illusion of a faux waistline, thus creating a more defined waist for your straight body shape.Great for: all bananas
- Scoop Neck Tops: Deeper and wider than round necklines, this flattering neckline helps to lengthen your neck and accentuate your collarbone.Great for: all bananas
- Dramatic Tops: Choosing tops with ruffles, ruching, pleats, and embellishments help to create the illusion of a bigger bust, giving you added shape. If you are petite, going for subtle patterns might be more fitting as they won’t drown you out. Great for: tall bananas
- Pencil Skirts: Form-fitting pencil skirts, especially those that end at the knee, can make your hips appear curvier. Petite ladies can wear ones that are slightly above the knee. Great for: all bananas
- Ruffled Skirts: Skirts with details like ruffles, bows, or embellishments help to create volume at your lower body area.Great for: all bananas
Must-Try One Pieces
- A-Line Dresses: A-Line and shift dresses are safe options when it comes to dresses. They don’t draw attention to your boxy figure, and are great if you don’t like figure-hugging dresses either. For tall bananas, A-line dresses aren’t as flattering as they don’t show off your biggest asset – your long legs!Great for: petite and regular bananas
- Tie-Waist Pieces: However, if you want to highlight your waist, go for pieces with belts that you can cinch at the waist. They’re versatile and fit for both casual and dressier settings. Great for: all bananas
- Cut-outs: Besides drawing attention to your waist, pieces with cut-outs can also give the illusion of a smaller waist. Especially flattering for petite bananas as they accentuate the waistline while elongating your legs!Great for: petite and regular banana
- Short Fitted Jackets: If you’re more petite, short jackets are a great way to create curves for your body.Great for: petite and regular bananas
- Belted Jackets: If you’re on the taller side, go for longer jackets that have a belt at the waist to accentuate your waistline.Great for: tall bananas
Go for wide and slouchy bags instead of boxy bags, as they can help add curves to your body.
Rent from the Infinite Bag Wardrobe: Loewe Barcelona Tote, Celine Small Cabas Tote with Tassel, Louis Vuitton Neverfull Damier Ebene MM or Gucci Large Shopping Tote
When it comes to shoes, you have lots to choose from. Most styles suit your body shape! Your best bet is a classic pair of pumps to elongate the legs.
When it comes to deciding your outfit, you should always play to your strengths and pick out the perfect one for you. Don’t limit yourself because you’re afraid they won’t fit. Rent fuss-free with Style Theory as our fit algorithm ensures your infinite wardrobe is always fitting!
Use the fit algorithm within the app to achieve the best fit for your outfit choice. Here’s how it works:
- Measure yourself
- In the app: go to Profile > Style Profile and input your measurements
- Go to Profile > Settings to toggle on “Size Recommendations”
Not a banana body shape? Check out our guide to:
If you don’t happen to fall within the banana shape category, take our body shape quiz to find out. It is important to note that you may fall between two body shapes and there is no rule that states you belong in only one category of body shape.
With the Style Theory Apparel Rental Membership, you get to rent from a collection of 40,000+ apparel pieces, with plans starting from S$79/mth. Download the app and create a free account to explore the Infinite Wardrobe here.