Figuring out your body shape is as simple as taking a few simple measurements. What many struggle with when determining their body shape and trying to dress for it, is understanding what details to go for to fit and flatter, and which styles to avoid. The fear of making mistakes often deter us from trying out new styles. If you often find yourself limited to minimal styles because you’re afraid to put on something that doesn’t flatter and you want to stay in the “safe zone”, you’re in the right place to solve dressing-for-your-body-shape woes.
Most apple-shaped ladies that I spoke with always find it difficult to flaunt their looks. But as with all body shapes, there is always a way to play up and flatter your favourite features.
If you’re unsure you can always measure yourself at shoulders, bust, waist as shown in this figure guide.
Your shoulder or bust measurement is more than 5% bigger than your hip measurement. For example, if your shoulders are 91 cm/36 inches and your hips are 89 cm/34.25 inches or smaller.
You might be wondering why it is so similar to a strawberry (inverted triangle) but let’s clarify. The two shapes are known for their broad shoulders compared to hips but a true apple shape carries a little more around the midsection while strawberries do not. So when dressing for shape, you’ll always look best when the outfit flatters your bust and slim legs.
Go for tops that are downplay your heavier top but not completely that your bust is hidden away. It’s always good to find a balance.
- A-line: These silhouettes are great for bringing attention away from your heavier top but at the same time still flaunt your bust.
- Flowy Tunics: Not only are they comfortable to be in, they look absolutely great on an apple shape.
- V-neck: V-neck tops are pretty much your best friend when it comes to neckline. Showing off your bust but at the same time create an elongated illusion of your torso, resulting in a longer and leaner look.
With your body shape, you can have legs for days, so go for bottoms that show them off. =
- Skinny Jeans/Pants: Anything hugging those legs will be flattering especially when paired with a fairly loose top.
- Mini / Knee-length Skirt: If you love your legs, show them off with mini or knee length skirts. They’re great for warm weather and look adorable for any occasion.
- Shorts: Perfect for the warm sun and great for drawing attention to your slim legs!
Theses are the best for showing off your slim legs, but there’s no reason to strike flare pants off the list. Just make sure the hem ends just at the top of your heel or all the way to the ground.
Must-Try One Pieces
One piece outfits are the easiest choice for all you apple shape ladies. Dresses, jumpsuits and playsuits are all fitting as long as you pick the right cut.
- A-line: They great at giving definition to your mid-section. Whether it’s a dress, a playsuit or a jumpsuit, these style flatters you.
- Wrap: Wrap dresses and playsuits are perfect for giving definition to your waistline and at the same time lets you show of your legs.
- Maxi: When it comes to maxi, you want to make sure the look isn’t fully covered because you still want to show off your good features like legs and arms. Sleeveless or short sleeved maxi dresses and jumpsuits would be the best option.
For jackets, where the hem ends will make a crucial difference to how you look. Apple shape would rock any outerwear as long as its hem hits at least the hip.
- A-line: These cover your heavy top while also giving slight definition to your waistline.
- Knee length: Super flattering without the waist belt. It downplays your heavy top and accentuates your lower body and legs.
Forget micro and nano bags as they are too puny and will disappear against your figure. Go for bags that are wider and more structured as they’ll have more depth. They’re more apparent and wouldn’t be a washout beside you.
Rent from the Infinite Bag Wardrobe: Burberry Sartorial House Check Bowling Bag, Saint Laurent Baby Sac De Jour, Celine Mini Luggage or Dior Book Tote With Handle Wraps
Chunky shoes are perfect for balancing out your heavier top and detract attention from your midsection. Wedges and platform shoes are great at doing those! Strappy sandals would come in handy for the hot summer weather as well.
When it comes to deciding your outfit, you should always play to your strengths and pick out the perfect one for you. Don’t limit yourself because you’re afraid clothes don’t fit as well.
Rent fuss-freely at Style Theory with our fit algorithm and size recommendation tools, ensuring your Infinite Wardrobe is always fitting!
Use the fit algorithm within the app to achieve the best fit for your outfit choice. Here’s how it works:
- Measure yourself
- In the app: go to Profile > Style Profile and input your measurements
- Go to Profile > Settings to toggle on “Size Recommendations”
Not a apple body shape? Check out our guide to:
It is important to note that you may fall between two body shapes and there is no rule that states you belong in only one category of body shape.
Don’t know your body shape? Take a quick read here and measure yourself.