There are a few essentials every girl has to have in her wardrobe. However, what makes your favourite pieces quintessentially necessary, especially for the office or an important dinner?
Below are a few rules we use when it comes to picking our top 5 wardrobe essentials that will serve as strong wardrobe staples you’ll always be in love with!
1. Essentials: White Tops
No two white shirts are created equal, but a girl can only wear so many white shirts! With so many different fabric and styles, it’s important to know what you need versus what you want.
Invest in quality white tops and rent everything else. We love
- Classic cotton tees (V-necks are perfect for dainty layering necklaces and round-necks are great for statement necklaces)
- Formal cotton shirt dresses and silk button downs (transitional styles, anyone?)
Tip: Dressing for our humid Singapore weather is made easier when you opt for fabrics that breathe as much as possible. We’re rooting for cotton and rayon pieces to complete your look with the classic white shirts:
2. Essentials: Little Black Dresses
No explanation needed. The classic LBD is the best transitional style that can take you from the office to dinner and even the dancefloor!
Invest in different necklines and lengths for different occasions throughout the year. We love
- high neckline and semi-modest length for the easiest transitions from day to night
- the new LBDs: wrap dresses. They are versatile enough to be casual, work-friendly and can be worn in more formal settings. That’s a win, win, win!
Tip: Don’t go on a shopping spree and buy LBDs of different fabric, lengths and sleeve types. First, know what works for your body shape and then pick your silhouette!
3. Essentials: Printed or Coloured Bottoms
Ever wondered if you could inject more colours into your wardrobe without second-guessing yourself? Breaking up a monochrome base can be hard but try working classic patterns or new colours into your look can give your outfit a second life.
Ease into statement patterns and colours a piece at a time. Afraid of buyer’s remorse? Rent it and experiment with breaking the monochrome. We love
- Colourful separates to go with classic whites
- Statement blazers to take those LBDs from day-to-night
Tip: Sometimes it helps to have a second opinion. Snap a photo and send it to a friend who knows you well and that you trust. It also helps to reference your photo and see what it can look like on your body.
4. Essentials: Denim, denim, denim.
Know your fit. It’s that simple when it comes to your favourite blues (or blacks)! Be it high-rise or low-rise, cropped flare or straight pipe silhouettes, invest in a pair that you find yourself reaching for every weekend or fun occasion!
Let these fundamental denim styles see you through date nights and off-duty days. We love:
- Classic blues for easy everyday option
- High-waisted, frayed hems for fun and travel
- Denim-on-denim (use the different weight and washes to flatter your body: light tops, dark jeans)
Tip: Bootleg and straight-leg cuts suit most body shapes. Low-rise cuts suit petite forms, and boyfriend jeans suit curvy figures. Pair these with dressy tops that call for your special occasions:
5. Essentials: Striped Shirts
Borrow from the boys, but do it better in stripes and colours. We’re leaning towards easy button-up striped shirt because it always achieves the right balance between effortless casual and polished put-together. Wear it with your favourite jeans or pencil skirt–depending on whether it’s to up your office wear game or for the weekend brunch.
Invest in luxe materials to take your striped shirts up a notch. We love
- Blue and white narrow vertical stripes, or banker stripes are always easy on the eyes
- Preppy stripes that can be worn untucked under a jumper or slip dress
- Go for oversized silhouettes to double up as a throw-over or cover-up that can be knotted at the waist
Tip: Pair it with white or indigo jeans for an easy Parisian classic look. Wear the shirt tucked in or loose. Swap your jeans for a denim skirt for a feminine alternative.
You don’t have to grab the same pieces from your wardrobe time and time again. Instead, make every piece covetable! This way, you’ll feel 100% wearing it. Choose everyday essentials that are comfortable and timeless and experiment with pieces from fashion rental subscriptions that mix and match with all parts of your wardrobe.
And there you have it; An easy capsule wardrobe to help you get the most of your options! Be sure to give your wardrobe a good clean out at least twice a year to make getting dressed every day easier with less clutter.
Want to maximise your wardrobe with minimal space? Try mix-and-match designer outfits with your current options!
What are some of your rules or tips for choosing your everyday essentials? Leave a comment below!